Translate

Sunday 8 October 2017

Interview with 2015 BDO World Champion Scott Mitchell


Hi Guys

It is my great honor and Privilege to bring you my interview with the 2015 BDO World Champion, Scott Mitchell:





Q1: Who were your darting inspirations when growing up and did you come up through the pub scene?

SM: My darting inspirations were and still are the 2 Bobby’s, Bobby George and Bob Anderson, both who I can now call friends having worked and spent time with them over the last couple of years. I started to play darts at the age of 16 in my local pub so yes I very much started in the local pub scene.

Q2: What were your first set of darts and how have your darts (shape, weight etc) evolved since you started?

SM: My first darts were MY darts from Woolworths, think they weighed about 16g!! My darts now aren't that much different to the MY ones, just a bit heavier at 24g and with a bit more grip on the back of them where I hold it....oh and they are now black and pink of course!! Available from all good Winmau stockists....

Q3: You broke through in around 2007. With your first BIG documented success being the 2009 England Classic. What was the catalyst that pushed you forward to the this level?

SM: The thing that pushed me forward to the first ranking title was actually losing one in Sweden in 2008! It gave me the belief that I was good enough to win the bigger tournaments.. so my first win was in Feb 2009 with the England Classic

Q4: 2014 was an incredible year for you, amassing 7 documented Open wins and capping it with the Worlds 2015 beating 3x world champion, the legend that is Martin Adams. Did you change anything to kick-start this form or was it finally everything just coming together?

SM: I sought the help of mind coach that was already working with the likes of Darryl Fitton and Tony Oshea. Stephen Mckibben was amazing, working with me on my weaknesses.. you have to be prepared to be totally honest with him about how you play and your worries etc..also you have to be prepared to put the work in to it  and listen to the recordings properly so that your mental strength improves.

Q5: The PDC vs BDO is a debate for another forum.  You have remained loyal to the BDO, other than the Worlds what’s is your favourite tournament or open? 

SM: Other than the worlds, my favourite tournament is the Dutch open in February of each year..over 3k men start in the singles comp playing of over 2 days..the Dutch people are such big darts fans! And very welcoming. I will never forget my first Dutch open, it was mind blowing and always run exceptional well!

Q6: Although still a young man, you have achieved success in darts at what is considered a comparatively older age for nowadays (e.g. over 40)  have you found age has affected any aspect of your game or practice?

SM: With age comes experience!.. Now the children are young adults there’s not so much demand my time as a dad and they understand if I'm not around as much and of course why I'm not.. I'm more able to see the bigger picture now and see the positives in games even when I lose.

Q7: Balancing a full-time job with a family and a secondary interest (darts), along with your sporting interests can’t be easy, how do you find time to fit it all in?

SM: No it’s not easy.. it helps to have a very understanding wife for a start!!, for me work starts to slow down in the winter, being self employed gives me the freedom to plan my weeks to suit the seasons, so summer is more work and winter is more darts practise, which thankfully suits the business endow the darting year.

Q8: The pink and black are distinctive colour's, is their a story behind it or is it just personal preference?

SM: Used to play and manage a local football team in Bransgore. When I had my first tv break at the uk open in 2007, Io got my first sponsor so decided to give up the footie and concentrate on the darts.my footie team bought me my first proper black and pink dart shirt as I used to wear pink cycle shorts under my footie kit!, it seemed to work!

Q9: You achieved the dream......world champion. Something only a small number will ever achieve. Obviously words wont do it justice, but what was going through your mind as you hit that final. Adams has of course won it 3x and a BDO legend!

SM: Lol..well it was something like..this is a chance of a lifetime-- don't do anything silly with the first dart-throw it high and get the range then hit it with the next one..which is what happened.. then I just couldn't believe I had done it!

Q10: Any advice for 'pub' local league players who are trying to breakout into a higher level of BDO competition?


SM: My advice would be .. take the good games with the bad, always look for a positive in each game. Don't give up on your dreams. It won't always be easy but you have to believe!

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank Scott for this interview and his lovely wife Sharon who arranged.

Luke



No comments:

Post a Comment